Wednesday

Design is a Rodeo. Take it as you get it!

I recently had the exciting opportunity to mark another item off my “Bucket List”. Drum roll please……………..Mechanical Bull Riding! After watching “Urban Cowboy” one too many times, I was determined to become Sissy, a true, sexy cowgirl. However, riding a mechanical bull is not as easy as it seems. During the entire ride I was concentrating so hard on squeezing my hands and thighs to prevent from falling off.  Suddenly, something distracted me, and caused me to lose my focus. It wasn’t the cheering crowd. Nor was it my exhaustion. Instead it was the upholstery of the mechanical bull.
My hand slipped from holding the leather strap, and I was grabbing on to the faux hide material itself….off went my design radar and my overall balance and grip quickly followed.
After the excitement passed, my design sense returned, and I was inspired to research various hide rugs and upholstery applications of animal hides.
Actress Julianne Moore displays a gorgeous hide in her “self” decorated NYC West Village 1830’s townhouse.  

Charlie Sheen's Los Feliz Pad

Matthew Perry's previous California Mansion


The real hides can definitely be expensive so an obvious alternative is faux hides. Here are a few options that should suite a wide range of budgets.

Animal hides are great floor coverings, but, let’s not forget the various ways to use hides in unconventional ways.

Cowhide Pendant Light Fixutres
Cowhide upholstered chest photographed at a Paris Flea Market

DIY Project: Use fabric to create a faux animal hide which allows you to really think outside of the box and customize the hide based on your specific purpose, measurements, etc. In my living room, I used fabric to cover my coffee table. I wanted to add texture all while hiding scratches and nicks on the wood. So, an alternative solution until I find the perfect replacement was to cut a hide shape from fabric purchased at Hancock Fabric at $9.99/yd. (on sale from $19.99/yd, however, coupons can also help). 


My goal was to resemble the Ikea version for $39.99.



Do you think I accomplished this successfully?

P.S. For those of you who are dying to watch the video of my mechanical bull riding experience….here you go. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment